5 Ways to Maximize the Value of Microsoft Enterprise Applications with NetApp
As they look to deploy Hyper-V and private cloud, many Microsoft shops are finding their legacy storage systems simply can’t keep pace with their data center environments. As they spin up virtualized servers to meet spikes in demand or move VMs from one end of the cloud to the other, getting the right storage in sync becomes a management nightmare – that is, unless they take advantage of the synergies between Microsoft and NetApp.
SLAIT, Microsoft and NetApp have been partnering for more than 15 years to ensure that organizations using NetApp storage arrays and appliances to support mission-critical Microsoft applications get the most bang for their buck. For example, using NetApp to support a production Microsoft virtual/cloud environment lets you:
- Achieve non-disruptive operation and dynamic scaling. Organizations look to private clouds to let them scale processing power up or down to meet the changing needs of business, but the strategy can’t work unless your storage systems play along as well. NetApp’s FlexVol software lets you add storage capacity and expand volumes on the fly as required – without bringing the storage system offline or impacting business-critical Microsoft applications.
- Increase efficiency and reduce costs by using integrated storage solutions. NetApp is fully integrated with Microsoft applications and private cloud technologies, which means it can leverage Microsoft tools like System Center to more easily manage Microsoft applications across the virtual environment. This ensures each application has the exact processing power and capacity it needs it at all times, maximizing efficiency and reducing overall costs.
- Protect Microsoft application data and keep it available. Since NetApp works with all Microsoft applications, including Exchange, SharePoint, SQL Server and Hyper-V, it enables seamless backups and recovery of all data using key features such as point-in-time copies, policy-based automation, near-instantaneous backups and recovery in just minutes.
- Simplify your IT environment and streamline management. Using NetApp together with Microsoft enables organizations to centralize their management, providing a complete picture of available resources, as well as a window into future needs and expenses. This means IT can more easily gauge usage and support initiatives like self-service portals, freeing staffers to focus on more critical tasks.
- Gain flexibility with support for virtualization and private cloud. Since NetApp supports both Microsoft’s Hyper-V for virtualized data centers and Microsoft Private Cloud, organizations can use the same storage across both types of environment, providing key flexibility as data center environments change and grow over time.
While Microsoft shops know that migrating their data centers to virtualization and private cloud is no easy feat, they are also coming to realize the many benefits and efficiencies to be gained by coupling NetApp storage with Microsoft Hyper-V and Private Cloud.
SLAIT Consulting has the deep NetApp and Microsoft expertise to help our customers create the best solutions for their infrastructure, across virtualized, private cloud or hybrid architectures. Our approach ensures you find the most cost-effective solutions for your data center storage requirements, reducing risk while maintaining performance. Learn more.